Art Heals is a visual arts program managed by Two Rivers Gallery which is delivered by professional artists & arts educators as an outreach & in-house program. In 2003 the program was developed in consultation with the Gallery`s professional arts educator & the Child-Life Specialist at the Prince George Regional Hospital. Since inception Art Heals is delivered on a regular basis in the Paediactric & the Adolescent Psychiatric Assessment Units at the Hospital and most recently in the Nechako Youth Treatment Program.
Devised in collaboration with Sandra Wyatt, Child Life Specialist, Paediatric Unit and Lynn AuCoin, Recreational Therapist, Adolescent Psychiatric Assessment Unit of Prince George Regional Hospital, Art Heals attends and serves the clients in the Paediatric Unit 3 times each week and the clients in the Adolescent Psychiatric Assessment Unit (APAU) twice a week for 1 hour in each unit as well as the Nechako Youth Treatment Centre for Youth every other week.
Art Heals offers children and youth creative solutions to express themselves and aid their recovery.
• To improve healing outcomes for young patients by enhancing self esteem, reducing stress and boredom, and augmenting healing motivation.
• To provide a safe and secure environment for hospitalized children to express their feelings and ideas through art.
• To offer the children educational and enjoyable activities while in the hospital.
• To promote the active participation of Two Rivers Gallery in the community.
Art Heals in the Paediatric Unit:
• Voluntary participation
• Individual attention in patient's room or play room and is inclusive of families & visitors
• Special consideration is made for medical needs
• Visual arts activities that promote healing through having fun with creativity.
"It's great to have something else for the kids to do for a little while. Especially the siblings of the patient who are probably bored out of their minds! It gives everyone something else to think about other than the reason they are here." Mother of paediatric patient
Art Heals in the Adolescent Psychiatric Assessment Unit & Nechako Treatment Unit:
• Mandatory Group Work that coincides with Recreational Therapy
• Confidential in a safe collaborative environment that helps promote self esteem & confidence
• Healing through conversation alongside creative endeavour with interesting and at times challenging visual arts activities.
Art Heals is a great addition to our weekly schedule in this unit. Many of our clients have had little opportunity to do some of the art styles that the Gallery brings to our unit. We were talking this morning at how even the most hard core youth got into doing your projects in some form or fashion. It has been great to watch their development over time." Lana Corrigal, RN, APAU